Almendra Route - Tourism in Vitoria-Gasteiz
The Medieval Quarters enable visitors to enjoy the history of the city, discover civil buildings, mansions, tower houses and beautiful temples of great interest as examples of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical art.
Starting point: Virgen Blanca square.
- Machete Square
You will find a replica of the machete on which the city representatives were sworn into office. Enjoy the view of the beautiful Villasuso Palace, which was finished in 1542.
- The Arquillos
These are the work of the Vitoria architect, Justo Antonio de Olaguibel, and resulted in a clever way of saving the uneven ground on the southern slope of the hill.
- Casa del Cordón
Named after the Franciscan cord on the entrance arch. This mansion from the late fifteenth century hides a medieval tower of the thirteenth century with spectacular starry vault.
- Bendaña palace
This is a mansion from the early sixteenth century built around a medieval tower. It now houses the collection of Fournier cards (in the Bibat museum).
- Cantón de Santa Ana
An example of mural art in Vitoria-Gasteiz which is known as “The painted city”. Here you can see the mural “Cubiertos de cielo y estrellas”, a modern interpretation of Saint Ana kissing Saint Joaquin.
- Convent of Santa Cruz
The convent -from 1547- features a monumental scene of the Passion on its facade.
- Mansion of the Gobeo-Caicedo
This one of the clearest examples of Herrerian Baroque.
- Santo Cristo Chapel
This chapel was built in the late nineteenth century and houses a Gothic sculpture from the fifteenth century.
- Santa Maria Cathedral
The city’s famous temple (12th century) is on the highest part of the hill and holds the history of Vitoria-Gasteiz within its stones. The guided tour, completely accessible, is highly recommended.
- The Escoriaza-Esquivel Palace
Built between 1530 and 1541, it is a key element of Vitoria-Gasteiz Renaissance.
- Montehermoso Palace
Built in the first quarter of the sixteenth century, the mansion has been profoundly altered. It is the headquarters of a cultural centre dedicated to avant-garde projects.
It is mainly the so-called First City Wall which is preserved, dating back to the 11th Century (some remnants still remain of the gothic city wall from the 13th century in the Church of San Pedro). The area next to the Escoriaza Esquivel Palace was restored in Lombard style; the recovery of the section next to San Miguel (which received a special mention at the 2010 Europa Nostra awards) includes a panoramic viewpoint.
- Church of San Pedro
Built over a former parish church from the thirteenth century. It was attached to the wall and building work began in the fourteenth century.
- Tower House of the Iruña Family / Torre de Doña Otxanda
Although the original fortified house dates from the early fifteenth century, the Mansion was rebuilt in the sixteenth century. The tower dates from 1970. It now houses the Museum of Natural Sciences.
- House of the Marques of Alameda
Built between 1731 and 1735, it is a beautiful baroque house.
- The Álava-Esquivel Palace
From the mid-nineteenth century, it retains the coat of arms of the founders.
- Lantern Museum
Beautiful pieces of polychromatic glass that represent the mysteries of the night procession that runs through the city streets on the 4th of August every year.
- Burullerías Square
This was an ancient medieval necropolis.
- The Portalón
From the late fifteteenth century. It was an inn and stagecoach stop. Today, it is still a restaurant.
- Tower of the Anda Family
One of the oldest buildings in the city. It was part of a defensive system.
If the information on the page does not match your information requirements, please apply via the Citizens' mailbox.