The Green Belt of Vitoria-Gasteiz - Technical Information
In accordance with the "multipurpose nature" of the Green Belt and in view of the initial situation of several of these spaces and their different characteristics and uses, since 1992, a large number of projects and development actions have been undertaken with the general purpose of promoting the values of nature, facilitating the use of these spaces by the public and securing the effective connectivity between the main parks and other green areas and natural spaces.
In each of the parks, a number of specific actions have also been undertaken to increase their variety and complexity and, in some cases, to resolve other, associated problems. Joint solutions have been applied in the work done on the wetlands of Salburua, for example, and the Park of the River Zadorra. In both cases this has involved their environmental and hydrological recovery.
The development of the Green Belt has involved a broad range of building work and activities of different types and importance. Many of them have been performed by contractors and others, mostly related to forestry work involved in the management of wooded areas, have, on occasions, been carried out by the students-workers of several employment-training programmes. In this way, the Green Belt is being used to enable young, unemployed persons to do practical training courses to enable them to enter the job market.
Actions of an environmental nature
- Restoration of degraded areas: woods, wetlands, river banks.
- Restoration and promotion of ecological corridors.
- Improvements in the natural environment aimed at increasing biodiversity.
- Use of plants for landscaping and recreation.
- Minimisation of the impact of infrastructures such as electricity lines and roadways.
- Elimination of waste dumping points and sources of contamination.
- Adaptation of the hydraulic functionality of river beds and flood protection.
Actions to plan and improve use by the public
- Preparation of places intended for public use.
- Preparation of internal routes and connections.
- Improvement of access points and parking places.
- Water network connections and the installation of fountains.
- Installation of signposting and information elements.
- Installation of street furniture.
- Information, education and environmental interpretation installations.
- Restoration of the gravel pit and forest of Zabalgana.
- Development of the Forest of Armentia.
- Development of the Park of Olárizu.
- Preparation of the wetlands of Salburúa and restoration of their hydrological function.
- Work on the environmental and landscaping aspects of the River Alegría.
- The preparation of the Park of the River Zadorra where it passes through the village of Gamarra.
- Ecological and landscape preparation of the Atxa-Landaberde section of the Park of the River Zadorra.
- Ecological and landscape preparation of the Park of the River Zadorra between the Abetxuko and Asteguieta bridges.
- Project to improve the connectivity between the Park of Zabalgana and the River Zadorra.
- Environmental preparation of river beds within the urban environment of Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- INBIOS biodiversity enhancement project.
- Olarizu Arboretum project.
- Preparation of the first stage of the Olarizu Arboretum.
- Landscape preparation project and incorporation of the green area of sector 16 into the Park of Armentia.
- Project to prepare the pedestrian cyclist path between the Park of Salburua and the River Alegría corridor.
If the information on the page does not match your information requirements, please apply via the Citizens' mailbox.