Plaza de la Virgen Blanca - Tourism in Vitoria-Gasteiz
Also known as Plaza Vieja (Old Square), it used to be part of the outskirts of the city, and the outside (the walls) markets would be held here. It was built in the 17th century, and it its centre stands the monument dedicated to the Battle of Vitoria against Napoleon’s army. For many centuries this was, and continues to be, the heart of the city.
- Contemplate the square from the balcony of San Miguel Church, next to the statue of Celedón.
- Enjoy the bar terraces and the nearby shops in the most central part of the city.
- Look at the bay windows and balconies of the houses which line the square.
- Take a walk in the nearby Florida park.
- Greet ‘Celedón’ at 6pm on the 4th of August, the opening day of the city’s fiesta season.
Visits and further information
More information about guided tours at the Tourist Office.
Andre Maria Zuriaren Plaza, 01001 Vitoria-Gasteiz. View with Google Maps.
360º Virtual tour
If the information on the page does not match your information requirements, please apply via the Citizens' mailbox.