Useful information - Tourism in Vitoria-Gasteiz
Vitoria-Gasteiz is the capital city of the Basque Country and of Álava territory. It is a compact medium-size city of 250,000 inhabitants, located in an area of great biological and landscape richness which provides it with a high quality of life.
The average temperature in summer is 18°C and in winter 8°C.Temperatures are moderate throughout the year. It rains more frequently in the spring and autumn and there is some snow in winter. Our summers are not excessively hot.
- Shops normally open from 10 AM to 1:30 PM and from 5 PM to 8 PM. Many shops open on Saturdays. Department stores and shopping centres do not generally close at midday. Their opening times are from 10 AM to 10 PM, Saturdays included.
The usual mealtimes are:
- Breakfast: from 8 to 10 AM.
- Lunch: from 13:30 to 15:30 PM.
- Dinner: from 21 to 23 PM.
- The normal working hours in offices are as follows: Mornings from 9 AM to 1 PM/2 PM and afternoons from 3 PM or 4 PM to 7 PM. On Saturdays, most companies and offices are closed. Official centres are generally open to the public only in the morning (from 8 AM to 2 PM).
The Basque Country has two official languages, Basque and Spanish. Further information.
The normal electrical current is 220V and 50 Hz. European type plugs with rounded pins are used.
Banks and savings banks
The public opening hours of banks and savings banks is from 8:30 AM to 2 PM. Some branches also open in the afternoon, from 4 PM to 5:30 PM.
If you lose your banking card or in the case of robbery, these are the numbers to call:
- VISA: tel. 900 991 124
- Servired: tel. 902 192 100
- American Express: tel. 900 814 500
- 4B: tel. 902 114 400
Citizens of the European Community and some Eastern European countries can enter the country with their National Identity Document. For citizens of other countries, a current passport or passport and visa are required as applicable. Please get in touch with the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country.
- Local Police: tel. 092
- Emergencies: tel. 112
- Hospitals with emergency service:
- Pharmacies on duty: Colegio Oficial de Farmacéuticos de Álava.
If the information on the page does not match your information requirements, please apply via the Citizens' mailbox.